LSSU’s Alumni Association Board of Directors, an all-volunteer group of 15 elected representatives plus 14 constituency representatives, elected new officers, welcomed two new members to the board, and renewed the terms of one other when they met October 15 during Great Lake State Weekend 2017.
Alex Bozmowski ’75 of Jones, Michigan was elected to a two-year term as president. Paula (Turnell) Patrus ’91 of Livonia, Michigan was elected to a two-year term as vice president.
The newest members of the board are Cindy Gallaway ‘75 and Susan Kirkman ‘15. Cindy recently retired from teaching in Lewiston, Michigan. While teaching she actively recruited her students to consider LSSU in their college plans. Her two children, Corey and Tim, are both Laker alumni. She is a lifetime member of the Alumni Association. Susan worked at LSSU for two years in the Upward Bound office. Now she is the 4H Program Coordinator for Mackinac County. Cindy and Susan were both elected for terms expiring in 2020.
The term of Christopher Martlew ’10 was also renewed through 2020. Chris lives in Worthington, Ohio and chairs the memberships and marketing committee.
Other elected members of the board include:
Expiring in 2018
- Kalev Kommusaar ’73 of Sault Ste. Marie, Ontario
- Brittany Litchard ’14 of Cheboygan, Michigan
- Rob Steinhoff ’12 of Gobles, Michigan
- Nathan Stump ’14 of Denver, Colorado
Expiring in 2019
- Julie (Zarske) Benson ’84 of Alpena, Michigan
- Danielle Branz ’13 of Lansing, Michigan
- Dan Goodrich ‘93 of Cedarville, Michigan
- Alyce Bourgeault-Henderson ‘96 of Kinross, Michigan
The board expressed its utmost gratitude for the work done and impact made by two directors who have served two terms on the board and are no longer eligible for re-electon: William Rothney ‘73 and Jacki Saunders ’75.
One vacancy currently exists for an elected position on the board and additional positions will open up in October.
In addition to the elected board members, the following directors each represent a specific academic, geographic or involvement constituency of alumni:
- Carol (Andary) Boger ’78 – Retired LSSU Alumni Employees
- Katelynn Coon ‘10 – Alumni Campus Employees
- Jason Trzcinski ’96 – Varsity Athletes
- Jennifer (Baccus) LaBonte ’99 – SAILS Alumni
- Katie Kearney ’10 and Sarah Kentner ’08 – Teacher Education
- Tony Crisp ‘01 – Criminal Justice
- Steve Peacock ’87 – Traverse Bay Area
- KP Pelleran ’77 – West Michigan
- Christopher Ogren ‘ 13 – Central Upper Peninsula
- Todd Capling ’06 – Detroit Area
- Kelsey Andersen ’05 – Colorado
- Andrew Burnham ’00 – Florida
- Anna (Kerr) Hotz ’03 – Minnesota
- Ezio DiEmanuele ’78 – Toronto Area
The Alumni Association Board provides guidance and leadership to LSSU’s Alumni Office regarding alumni programming and strategic planning. The board also donates their time, talent and treasure to their alma mater without compensation. They attend two board meetings on campus annually, one during Great Lake State Weekend and another during commencement weekend. The board members also serve on one or more committees throughout the year. Board members assist with planning and hosting alumni gatherings in Sault Ste. Marie and beyond.
If you belong to a constituency group that you think merits representation on the Alumni Board, please let us know. If you are interested in serving on the LSSU Alumni Board, or you know someone who you think would be a good candidate for board service, contact Alumni Director Susan Fitzpatrick at email@example.com or any board member.