As both a military veteran and academic, LSSU President Hanley recognizes the value of this partnership. “The members of the Coast Guard Sector Sault Sainte Marie, are an integral part of our community,” he stated, “I am proud to continue the long standing agreement with the USCG and I look forward to welcoming more active duty members and their dependents to take advantage of LSSU’s unique and innovative programs.”
LSSU has a tradition of being a military-friendly institution. In fact, when it was established in 1946, it was to address the needs of returning World War II veterans, and to provide educational opportunities to the people of the Eastern Upper Peninsula. Thus this agreement, now in its 10th year, is a natural fit for the University. It sets LSSU’s tuition equal to the Coast Guard Tuition Assistance Program for Sector Sault Coast Guardsmen. Since its inception, over 100 Coast Guard personnel and their dependants have taken advantage of the program.
“We are incredibly grateful to continue our decade long partnership with LSSU to accommodate our Coast Guard members and their dependents,” said Captain Nelson. “This agreement significantly assists our Coast Guard family’s pursuit of their educational goals. Over the past decade, numerous active duty members and their dependents have furthered their education right here in Sault Sainte Marie.”
Coast Guard Sector Sault Sainte Marie is responsible for all Coast Guard missions on Lake Superior, northern Lakes Michigan and Huron, and surrounding navigable waterways, to include Search and Rescue, Law Enforcement, Aids to Navigation, Marine Safety, and Homeland Security. Coast Guardsmen, reservists, spouses, and dependents who are interested in taking advantage of the program should contact their Education Services Officer or Admissions for more information.
IRA Charitable Rollover
You may be looking for a way to make a big difference to help further our mission. If you are 701/2 or older you may also be interested in a way to lower the income and taxes from your IRA withdrawals. An IRA charitable rollover is a way you can help continue our work and benefit this year.
Benefits of an IRA Charitable rollover
- Avoid taxes on transfers of up to $100,000 from your IRA to the Lake Superior State University Foundation
- Satisfy your required minimum distribution (RMD) for the year
- Reduce your taxable income, even if you do not itemize deductions
- Make a gift that is not subject to the deduction limits on charitable gifts
- Help further the work and mission of Lake Superior State University
How an IRA charitable rollover gift works
- Contact your IRA plan administrator to make a gift from your IRA to us.
- Your IRA funds will be directly transferred to Lake Superior State University to help continue our important work.
- Please note that IRA charitable rollover gifts do not qualify for a charitable deduction.
- Please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org or 906-635-2665, if you wish for your gift to be used for a specific purpose.
About the AuthorStephanie Roose
Marketing Content Coordinator
Stephanie Roose graduated in 2009 with a BA from Lake Superior State University and has since been working in sales, marketing, and public relations. Roose relocated back home to Sault Ste. Marie, joining the LSSU Marketing and Communications team in January.