Read on for some brief personal stories from three scholarship recipients.
Major – Business Administration – Management
Hometown – Pickford, Michigan
Graduating April 2019
Receiving scholarships has helped me in many ways throughout my academic career. Without them, I would not have been able to attend university at all. Besides scholarships, I receive no other sort of financial aid, and the loan amounts I can borrow do not cover tuition. By receiving this extra help, I’ve been able to maintain a high GPA, graduate on time, volunteer in the community, and advocate on Student Government as a representative. It has helped make my experience at Lake Superior State University a memorable one.
Major – Biology, Minor – Biochemistry
Hometown – Sault Ste. Marie, Michigan
Graduating April 2019
Coming from a family of nine kids, school would have never been possible, let alone graduate school. My parents never really had money and they never would have been able to set up a college fund for any of my brothers and sisters. The money just wouldn’t have been there, since college is super expensive. The only reason why I have been able to attend college is due to the scholarships that I have received from the Foundation. These scholarships have allowed me to fulfill my dreams of becoming a clinical researcher and I am truly thankful for the opportunity!
Major – International Business and Management, Minor – Human Resource Management
Hometown – Angola, Indiana
Graduating – April 2019
Scholarships were my deciding factor when I chose to attend Lake Superior State University, without them I would have gone somewhere else. However, I found that the Lukenda School of Business is AMAZING, there is so much camaraderie between the students. Considine Hall is beautiful. All the faculty care and are passionate that we apply the theories we learn with projects. Many times the projects have to do with our interests or campus and it gives us experience working through challenges we will find in later in our work. During my junior and senior year, I was even able to apply for and receive more scholarships as a business student. I am forever grateful for the donors. Thank you.
IRA Charitable Rollover
You may be looking for a way to make a big difference to help further our mission. If you are 701/2 or older you may also be interested in a way to lower the income and taxes from your IRA withdrawals. An IRA charitable rollover is a way you can help continue our work and benefit this year.
Benefits of an IRA Charitable rollover
- Avoid taxes on transfers of up to $100,000 from your IRA to the Lake Superior State University Foundation
- Satisfy your required minimum distribution (RMD) for the year
- Reduce your taxable income, even if you do not itemize deductions
- Make a gift that is not subject to the deduction limits on charitable gifts
- Help further the work and mission of Lake Superior State University
How an IRA charitable rollover gift works
- Contact your IRA plan administrator to make a gift from your IRA to us.
- Your IRA funds will be directly transferred to Lake Superior State University to help continue our important work.
- Please note that IRA charitable rollover gifts do not qualify for a charitable deduction.
- Please contact us at email@example.com or 906-635-2665, if you wish for your gift to be used for a specific purpose.